Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong

   This is my favorite story, thus far! I know, I said that about another story but this one is the best! It was also the weirdest story, I’ve read. I must admit, that I was confused at the beginning of this story. Well, I wasn’t as confused, as usual when I begin a new story. I just had to start over and get the all the details that I missed, when I read the first time.

   Vietnam had changed people like Mark Fossie, Rat Kiley, the other soldiers, but ultimately, Nam changed Mary Anne Bell. At first, I thought that this change was a bad thing but, it’s actually not. Being in Vietnam, changed Mary in ways that can’t be explained or understood. Not even Rat, the narrator of this story understood what fully went on with her. I believe that it was a change for the good. It’s really sad, that Mark lost the love of his life to the war. The saddest part is that, Mary decided to go. She decided to leave him and everything else behind, that wasn’t Vietnam. I mean, who could fully blame her? At first I blamed Mark, for bringing her over, to stay with him. He was the one that let her be where all the action was. He let her “roam around the compound asking questions” (95). On the other hand, he could have sheltered her from all of that, but Mary Anne was, “curious about things” (95) and would have found the answers to all of her questions somehow. In my opinion, the person who led Mary Anne down this path was, herself.

   I was quite surprised at how much she enjoyed everything. When she was first introduced, I got the impression that she wouldn’t enjoy her stay in Vietnam. That the only reason she came, was to see her love. I believe she probably thought the same things, when she first stepped, onto the soils of Vietnam. The way she picked up on everything was very impressive. Not only to me, but to all the guys that was there. I guess the reason it was so impressive was, the time period and situation she was in. The war waged on from 1955-1975. During those years, women were not associated with war or independence, in any way what so ever. So, to see her take on all of that responsibility, when she wasn’t even expected to, was amazing!

   What was the most shocking and weird thing was Mary Anne’s transformation. She started out, as this pretty blonde girl, to this wild Vietnam spirit. The reason I said spirit, is because she just disappeared at the end. I don’t believe she died, I believe that she just became apart of everything that was Vietnam. The land, the people, the cultures, the war. She became apart of all of those things. It’s really beautiful in a twisted way. Vietnam changed Mary Anne Bell forever. 

1 comment:

  1. Remember, rereading is critical to becoming a good reading and understanding quality literature. So don't apologize for reading well.

    This is my favorite story too! Good use of citations to support your ideas. I love how you express the beauty of Mary Anne in how she became a part of everything. It's as if she represents the world in its entirely--the beautiful (her physical form) as well as the ugly (the death in Vietnam).

    ReplyDelete